As the original post mentioned a service monitor and a
Micor repeater, I just "assumed" that it was the
repeater's deviation that he was interested in.

Touch-tones are a complex signal formed by two
unrelated audio tones. There's also some inequality in
the levels of the two tones as well as purity of the
signals that will get modified if the level is too
high. The 3-4 kHz deviation on touch-tones is
apppropriate for a mobile or hand-held radio.

The deviation can be measured with a meter or a scope
only if you're using a constant sine wave as the input
signal. Once you start looking at complex waveforms or
voice, you must use a scope to set the absolute peaks.
The meter will read lower under such conditions.

The choice of using 400 Hz or 1 kHz is more of a
matter of convenience, however the transmitter's
pre-emphasis will have a bit more effect on the 1 kHz
tone, so you might need less audio for a given amount
of deviation.

Bob M.
======