Well I did some testing this evening with some cables, several different lengths.  The original is a 4' length of Superflex FSJ1, power out of the duplexer is 115 Watts, now tested on a Bird, and a small tweak on the duplexers, so I am very close.  I changed to a 5' cable, 90 watts, 6' gave 90 watts, a 4.5' and got 100 watts, 3.5' gave me 110 watts, so I guess my magical number was 4'.  I guess they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  "And no, I did not tune the duplexers while transmitting".

Thanks to all whom replied, I think I am as close as I am going to get, and the system seems to be working like it should, other than the normal receiver problems that I have, and they will live that way until the receiver is changed out.

Mathew

Kevin Custer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Mathew, et al,

Without very expensive test equipment, there is no way to "calculate"
the correct length needed to match a transmitter to a duplexer. The
correct length will seldom be some an exact wavelength or simple
fraction of it. The terminal impedance of a transmitter can change with
the change of output power level, so the correct length at one power
*could* be different from another outputted power. For most of us, this
length must be determined experimentally, and is another reason why a T
Matcher is nice, because it's simpler to tune it, then cut cables.

In the case of Charles' repeater, I believe he was simply lucky when he
cut the cable to length, and all was well.

Kevin