At 11:50 AM 12/12/2005, Jim Barbour WD8CHL wrote:
>You'll need to have frequency response through the repeater down to near
>DC, as digital is basically an FSK signal....

And I write:

In the unlikely event that a repeater designed for FM voice does pass the
digital data well enough to permit a conversation, it will make all the
regular analog FM voice users of the repeater very unhappy.  It will sound
like their squelch is wide open, but advancing the squelch control will not
help.  As long as the digital signal is transmitting, they will hear a loud
rush in their speakers.

It's going to take some ingenuity to accommodate the inevitable, long
transition between analog and digital communication on the VHF/UHF bands.

73,
Gary KN4AQ

        Gary Pearce KN4AQ        editor, SERA Repeater Journal
        Cary, NC                 www.sera.org
        919-380-9944             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         AIM: KN4AQ Radio.  Yahoo: KN4AQ
         (send e-mail to be put on my "buddy list")