> "Jim B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I got tired of fighting different reverse phase
> > formal formats for so many different radios &
> > receivers.
>
> I hated that too. I always figured that it should
> be 180 degrees. If it worked with that, good. If
> not, oh well, live with it.

Some engineer worked out the best phase shift to
stall the original mechanical tone reeds. The best
choice wasn't 180 degrees.

> > Extending out the rptr tx hang time without a
> > sub tone has been a "poor mans" way to deal with
> > no reverse burst function.
>
> How much of delay did that add, btw? Normally I
> would think no more then about a half second
> would do for most radios...except some of the
> cheapies, Maxon, Tekk, Tait, Yaesu, etc.

It was much less than 500 mS...  you're trying to
make a best guess "loss of ctcss" detect time for
so many different brands of tone decoders. After
a while you just don't try to please everyone.

> > The first time you do any tkr repeater connection...
> > you quickly learn to scratch your head in wonder.

> You mean like having to put a jumper from pin
> 1 to ground for the PTT on the back to work?

.... and why some things were done one way and why
some things were left off the back connector.

cheers,
skipp