Jim,
   1) For VHF, I'm guessing that you are running a 600khz split? If so at 48watts out of the transmitter, you want at least four (4) , base station type, band-pass/band-reject cavities to avoid desense. TX/RX systems makes a great 4 cavity duplexer for vhf but if you could find a good condition Telewave, WACOM, or CelWave that would be fine as well. Any more than 50watts in the future and you may need extra cavities.
   2) Instead of hooking in a plain id'er to the repeater, I would check out some of the cheap repeater controllers that are available. Micro Computer Concepts for a little over $100 makes two different ones. They ID and give you remote control over the repeater as well as some tail and some simple courtesy beeps. There are others, but I have had good luck with his.

Andy KC2GOW

Yahoo! Shopping

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS