On Dec 30, 2005, at 7:42 PM, Dick wrote:

> Paul, I wouldn't worry unless you plan to operate your van on a
> mountain top in one of those impressive upstate NY lightning storms.

We do have some great ones.  It's possible I might seek out a hilltop
location to stay out of the way of the incident and to ensure the
best coverage to other handhelds in the area.
(I have a bed in the back of the van so I can just crawl in and pull
the covers over my head in case a storm's in the area.  Maybe I
should pack a camcorder along to record the fireworks.)

> All antennas are DC grounded to the fuselage.

I wondered if I would be doing more harm than good with a separate
ground to the frame of the van.  I guess the idea is to avoid any
differences in the voltage potential between any of the system
components.

Paul