minor point of clarification.  The DO160 document referred to is published
by RTCA and not the FAA.  The latest version is DO160E released about a year
ago.  It is an environmental test procedures document that covers much more
than just lightning.  Section 20 covers indirect effects of lightning
(effects of lightning currents induced into aircraft wiring)  section 22
covers direct effects of lightning (damage to aircraft structure or anything
like antennas or probes that protrude from the skin.

The FAA does publish an advisory circular AC 20-136 "Protection of Aircraft
Electrical/Electronic Systems against the Indirect Effects of Lightning"  It
was published in 1990 and is somewhat out of date.

An interesting twist, one of the simulated lightning tests is called a
multi-burst test.  The test equipment generators commonly used for this test
look  very similar to early spark gap transmitters.

John Lock KF0M
Wichita KS
 kf0m at arrl dot net