The IC you speak of is a standard, run-of-the-mill CD4049 CMOS hex inverter
and the 4050 is a standard CMOS hex NON-inverting buffer. The TCP prefix
just means they're made in Japan :-)

Both of these ICs have been around for 30+ years and is fairly "old"
technology. But what the heck, they work fine!

Then again, why use a whole 14 pin dip package device when a single NPN
transistor and 2 resistors will do the same thing? (ok, in the case of the
4050, it takes 2 transistors!)

Ken