Title: RE: [Repeater-Builder]Polphaser help

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:42:33 -0800
   From: "Dick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: polyphaser Help

---------snip------------------------------------
Last, but certainly not least, you talk with the folks who write the
aircraft operating manuals and put in an instruction that tells the crew not to fly
into thunderstorms and to avoid flight in areas likely to produce lightning.
Then you hope and pray that, during their flight training, they were taught how
to spot weather conditions likely to spawn lightning.  I was.  My instructors
drilled that weather info into my feeble brain until I could recite in my
sleep and spot a potential lightning strike area and avoid it.

They don't call it "Weather Avoidance Radar for nothing!!  Navy training enjoins us to
remain at least 20 miles from all CBs if possible.  Sometimes that isn't possible, like
when ATC vectors you away from traffic into a boomer!

 I have landed with 3/4 inch black holes burned in my aircraft from lightning strikes (3 on one flight- thats enough
to make a believer out of anyone!).  I was trying to get back to base and my weather radar was out.
I asked ATC for vectors home though the lightest area, but got smacked anyway.  It took a couple of
minutes for the charge to bleed off the aircraft and none of the radios (comm or nav) worked for about
ten minutes.

Another factor is the condition of the static wicks on the airplane.  If they are in good condition and well bonded
to the airframe, there will be less damage.  The old carbon inpregnated cloth wicks were good for about the
first 5 hours of flight, then they had all the carbon shaken out and they were useless.  The new sharp pointed
or multiconductor wire (see Kevin's lightning doodad for towers) wicks work like a champ.  You see them on
all newer aircraft on the trailing edge of wings, tail etc.

Then there is St Elmos Fire, but that's another sea story..............

73 de Tom/W4OKW
Brave pilot, but scared of lightning!

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS