Forty someodd years ago, we were using the slightly older Motorola
 80D and 140D's as mobiles.  Cleaing them was a farily simple task:

  First stop was the local hospital supply and bought a package of
 Haemo-sol ... the stuff the hospitals used to clean dried blood
 from bed sheets etc.

  Next, we removed the individual receiver, transmitter and power
 supply chassis' from the mobile package - then took off the
 individual covers from the transmitter chassis.

  Into the kitchen sink using the hotest water we could stand and
 Haemo-sol.  Using an acid brush, we washed off the accumulated dirt
 and grime.

  Rinsing with hot water too, several times.

  To dry, we set the chassis in the oven - temperature set at about
 180 degrees and proped the door open a bit with an empty tin can -
 let the moisture escape.

  Clean and dry, we retubed the strips, fired them up and retuned
 them to our frequencies.

  Worked very well for us.

  The mobile housings were washed, rust removed, primed and
 repainted ... with Motorola Part numbered paint.  I found a couple
 of those rattle cans in my garage recently.

  Mike, do you need the part numbers?

  Neil - WA6KLA