Everything depends on everything Bob.  I've seen some
poor quality N elbows that ruined an 800MHz trunking
system (round body type).  Replacing the round body
elbows with the better made square body N-Elbow brought
the trunking system rx pre-selector back to life.

Not only can the mechnical connection be trouble,
but many a connector & adapter are serious impedance
bumps in the path.

His using a common rx preamp often implies at least
a pair of BNC connectors. Unless you order the preamp
with N female coax connectors.

Same thing with connector construction materials.

It's not hard to get .2dB loss in the UHF range with
some of the junky aftermarket (non name brand) coax
connectors found on the internet and at flea markets.
I've seen many a junky coax connector used by people
not paything attention or doing the proper homework.
Not to mention some of the older connector insulating
materials are very hydroscopic.

Good connectors are a big deal.  Less connectors are
also a big deal. Sometimes less is betta'

[great taste.... less filling...]

cheers,
skipp