> Once a new low-split harness was
> purchased directly from Sinclair (about $125, as I recall) and
> installed, the duplexer tuned up with the expected pass loss of
> about 1.6 dB.  The notch attenuation was within a dB of the previous
> value, using the incorrect harness.

Well, my guess is that the high insertion loss you saw was not due to the
incorrect cable lengths *between* adjacent cavities, but rather between the
first cavity on each side and the tee.  With that length being wrong, the
two sides of the duplexer are not fully decoupled, i.e. the reject notch on
one side isn't being "echoed" exactly 1/4 wave away back at the tee.

I'd bet that if you only increased the lengths of the cables between the
first cavities and the tee that the measured performance would have been
comparable to replacing the entire harness.

                             --- Jeff