Mine has been just the opposite of Bob's, and in fact, I'm using the same
antennas!  I had a GP9 top-mounted on a tower, my UHF repeater and an APRS
digipeater on it.  The GP9 developed crackling noises after about a year of
use.  I and the owner of the APRS digi decided to put up separate antennas -
mine a DB408 replacing the GP9 on top of the tower, and his a DB224
side-mounted below it.  When we got the GP9 down, we didn't find anything
obvious wrong with it, either internally or externally, and the guy with the
APRS digi took the antenna and is now using it for something else.  The
DB408 (ham-cut version) plays much better than the GP9 ever did.  As usual,
YMMV.

                                                --- Jeff