I sent a copy of your text examples back to Dave, and
he replied with the following:

[paste]

He did not indicate whether he validated his
calibration of the VNA, but the results suggst that
the calibration was performed correctly.  The SA/TG
equipment should be discarded; if there's a
disagreement between VNA results and SA/TG results,
one would always discard the SA/TG results, because an
SA/TG is not vector corrected.

His statement that the precision 50 ohm load is the
most important piece is not correct.  The most
important bit of the calibration kit is that it's been
characterized in a lab that's traceable to NIST, and
the measured data for that calibration kit has been
loaded into the network analyzer.  There is an
erroneous assumption that when one connects the
precision 50 ohm load and pushes "cal", the analyzer
measures the load, assumes it's 50 ohms, and applies a
mathematical correction to itself.  That's not really
how it works.  Instead, you first enter the
calibration kit's coefficients into the VNA (usually
by loading a file from a floppy disk that came with
the kit), then you attach the 50 ohm load and press
"cal".  The analyzer measures the load, then refers
back to the calibration file and corrects itself so
that it will measure that load as it was measured by a
traceable analyzer at a lab.  The load could actually
be 60, 70, 80 or whatever ohms, as long as it has been
accurately characterized, and the data entered into
the VNA.

However, the 85032 loads are good enough that at the
low frequencies we're discussing, it's close enough to
50 ohms that if he doesn't bother loading the cal
coefficients, he's probably not measurably in error.
As I said, his measurements suggest that his cal
routine was adequate.  Getting fussy about having the
exact cal coefficients in the instrument is only worth
bothering with if you want to make return loss
measurements of devices better than 40dB or above
several GHz.

The values he measured are consistent with some old
and some poorly-assembled connectors that I have
measured.  RF connectors are not intended to be used
and re-used more than a few hundred times; in the
instrumentation industry we think of them as
"dispoables" and keep a budget item for their
replacement.

The characteristics of RF connectors varies a lot by
how well they're manufactured.  I have seen no
correlation whatsoever between price and measured
performance.  The stack of adapters that I measured
some years ago was simply gathered.  I cleaned them
before measurement, and I discarded the type N
connectors which had "fingered" ground connections
that did not appear tight, as those are a well-known
trouble spot.  I'm not sure why anybody built type N
male connectors like that, as it's a lousy way to do
things.

Adapters in particular, take a lot of abuse.

It's good to measure these things.  If you don't, then
you have no idea whether you're using a good connector
or a bad one.