I had access to a Motorola MSR2000 some time back.  The only way
 /\/\ would ship it was at 75 watts output ... the station license
 said 20 watts.

  The PA deck consisted of one PA transistor & associated microstrip
 circuitry driving three more in paralle.  Bypassing the three and
 using just the driver stage equaled 16? watts ... well within the
 license limitations.

  Neil - WA6KLA