theVAP.com

From: Bryon Jeffers K0BSJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tim,

First off lets go over some numbers...

38 watts = 45.8dB
16 watts = 42dB

So 38 into the duplexer and 16 out is roughly 3.8dB loss not 7.5dB...

I don't have a Motorola 2600 but I do have an IFR1500 and it doesn't always measure RF power anywhere close to what my Bird watt meter does...

According to Sinclair <http://www.sinctech.com/catalog/series.aspx?id=343> you should see no more than .8dB loss through the duplexer...

Your 28 watts which is 44.5 dB is showing about .3dB loss which seems a little too good but is closer than 3.8dB loss....

When I see that kind of power gain by tuning the duplexer with low TX power going through it I usually associate it with the fact that when you are tuning the duplexer on the bench you use two of the ports while tuning and terminate the third with a 50 Ohm load. Your service monitor should be fairly close to 50 Ohms as well. When hooked to the transmitter and receiver they are usually not near as close to 50 Ohms as the test equipment that you are using... I will say that usually you won't see that much power to be gained by peaking the TX side under (low) power....  So maybe the transmitter output is not near as close to being a perfect 50 Ohms...

I sometimes even use another set of test cables when things start looking weird, just in case.....

When you finish re-peaking the TX side under (low) power, always go back and set/re-check the notches on the TX side as well....

This is taken from my experience. YMMV..

Bryon Jeffers K0BSJ