Please indulge me one more tidbit.  Of off topic blather....

The object of the Morse test is to demonstrate the ability to receive Morse
at 5 WPM, and then demonstrate comprehension.  Taking 45 minutes to
translate dots and dashes into text does not constitute the ability to
receive Morse at 5WPM.

In our VE sessions we announce in advance of the test that copying dots and
dashes is not permitted.  Other VE teams may allow this but this team does
not.

Regarding the comment to the effect "I can repair equipment but not operate
it."  I have been there myself.  I remained a tech for nearly 10 years and
had a lot of fun building repeaters, hanging antennas and experimenting.
Getting HF privilages does not immediately give you acceptance on the low
bands.  There is a rite of passage.  A good example would be the old men at
the coffee shop at a table to themselves.  You don't just grab a chair and
join them.  If you are careful and do a lot of listening, you might be
invited to join in.

Maybe not the best way to go about it, but this is the way it is.

SSB

(Now back to our regularly scheduled programming)...