> I finally got the dB224 220 MHz antenna up on our
> tower this past Monday. As you may recall, this tower
> is self supporting, 450 ft. tall and our 220 MHz
> repeater antenna location is at the 250 ft. height, the
> tower being 25 ft. wide at this location. I made the
> decision, based primarily on advice on this forum, to
> orient the dipole elements in an omni manner. The initial
> reports of a few mobiles is showing a pretty drastic
> improvement over the omni 3 dB gain anemic antenna that
> was being used.

One of the few "free lunch" improvements you can get for
a repeater systems is to use higher gain quality antennas
right out of the starting gate.

> It seems to have really picked up off the back of
> the tower.

The antenna pattern will be modified by all the spacings
and sizes of adjacent conductors. One hopes to end up
with something practical. The antenna distance from the
tower face and element spacing seems to be the big
controller of pattern with an omni antenna. The pdf ant
page I sent out a while back indicates some of the more
popular commercial setups.

With experience, one learns to put more $ into a really
good antenna. It's hard to beat the additional advantage
of a true DC grounded antenna.

Congrads on your upgrade.

cheers,
skipp