For example: I live in Northwest Florida. After Hurricane Ivan, cellphones were inoperative so all of our communications were taking place on our UHF conventional system. Add this to the additional deputies (doubled the shifts, no days off) and during the day, the repeaters would be in transmit almost continuously. If you wanted to talk, you jumped on the squelch tail.  I had to setup extra fans to blow across the heatsinks of the repeaters (MSF 5000s), because they were so hot I thought they were going to melt!