It seems Doug I get a laugh out of the same bunch of Chicken Banders up here the other day comment was  " Youre overmodulated !  "  I replied, " Dont you mean overdeviated ?, " I went on to ask about his education in 11 Meter Childrens Band and if he knew what is the Difference in Modulation and Deviation and did you read it in your exam book , I also let him know my Extra Status and that I am a Volunteer Examiner..  Then he signed off in puppy voice.

I also had insults from people when I am at work with the public I reply asking them if they heard of  some thing technical all of a sudden their brain freezes a stupid stare happens and then I let them have it " In case you didnt know it, I am a Extra Class Ham & persuing a Electronics degree ( smacking as added ) and belong to 2 engineering orgs. !! "  people pulling this mental insult  games suddenly walk away and trying to figgure out what happened and it was not in their training or they were in the Childrens Band Craze of the 70's .

And our Team Leader has been trying to encourage the others, they are not concerned about me I am a asset to the company.  $$$$$$$

Doug Fitts W7FDF wrote:
I just spent the past hour [in between two cups of tea] reading ALL the
posts from this list [from Friday], had a really good laugh and almost
fell otta my chair here in the shack with quips like, "at our VE
sessions, state up front that you are not allowed to copy dots and
dashes and then go back and decode them","We have a local examiner who
not only requires 100% solid copy... he also requires you to send as
well", "they didn't need to attach their "amplified microphone " to
their new 2 meter rig", "Failure to communicate..... turn up your
squelch, I can't hear you is another one!", "Ahh yes-the "tinfirgudbudy"
crowd. Or as we like to call them, the 'light-bar brigade'.Turn up your
volume. I can't hear you", "Turn up your RF Gain, you arent using enough
power to get into the repeater". On, and on ,and on and....

Just last week I was listening to a conversation on one of our local 440
UHF repeaters and the fella often instead of saying, yes, or "Roger
That" or OK. He often kept repeating, "10-4!".

Now indeed I just have to make one or a few comments then throw out a
way for everyone on this list to educate these "newcomers" to the ranks
of Amateur Radio. My comments are that I got my Ham license back in 1959
[I was a CB'er before I got my Ham tix and not ashamed to admit it] and
was tested in front of an FCC examiner [641 Washington Street the old
federal building, NYC where the twin towers were built and once stood].
I did the Morse Code testing having to receive and send back then, at
5wpm for the Novice then 13wpm for my General!. I have seen how
attitudes have changed these past 47 years [February was the month I
tested] yet the hobby still is the BEST on this planet, even with some
of its faults....and I still ONLY have a General Class tix! That will
change come July when I test for my Extra and its about time!!

So having said that, regardless on where the person started [citizen
band frequencies aka 11-meters], or some guy or gal named Joe Schmoe or
Sally Three-Fingers that can't count to ten, or know the difference
between a 1/2 wave and a 1/4 wave mobile antenna or is shown a resistor
and can't read it [you know, the colored bands around the device]. We as
the so-called "Oldtimers" [I'm 62] need to help these folks succeed in
their quest to be the BEST Ham Radio Operator they can be. This will
ONLY come from education, hand holding, on air conversation through your
local friendly repeater and sidebars of one-to-one sharing of
experiences and knowledge....agreed?

So as I go outside to pull the weeds, cleanup the front yard landscaping
rocks otta the gutter [the kids like to roll their bikes on my property
with CC&R's] and other "Honey-Do's". I'd like to come back to this list
this afternoon and see that indeed some of you can select a topic and
educate the many new Hams in the fraternity.....OK?

So answer this thread [if you are bold enough and have the time] with
some educational thoughts and experiences about Repeaters. What is a
repeater, how does it work, what components are used to make up the
system, what does the COS circuit or PL circuit do in a typcal repeater,
how much power is normally required to access a typical repeater from
the mobile, why do Hams NOT use an amplified microphone in the FM mode
and finally, how and why is it necessary for a typical repeater to ID
[CW or voice] and the operator to ID as well every ten minutes and NOT
with every "over" or exchange of conversation. Many, many subjects so
pick one, pick any subject of your choice and have at it.

I'll be back.........best 73!!

Doug W7FDF
Vail, Arizona U.S.A.
PS: I am a former two-way shop owner from the NYC area, have been
designing and building repeaters since about 1979 and operate three Ham
repeaters here at my home [449.925, 448.450 and 927.8500] still employed
[in my third career change] as a Tucson Bus Operator the past 12
years...so why can't I afford a "Golden Screwdriver?"....he he he

MZ

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

begin:vcard
fn:Mark A. Holman
n:Holman;Mark A.
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Webmaster, IT Student
note;quoted-printable:IT, Student Member IEEE, Life Member ARRL, Assoc. Member SBE, CRO, ARRL=
	 VE=0D=0A=
	Welcome to the Snowy stuff of Michigan=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.ab8ru.org
version:2.1
end:vcard