It is easy to criticize the Red Cross when you aren't a participant or
have had a family member who is.

My step son took leave from his administrative job in a comfortable
Connecticut hospital to work as a volunteer for two weeks in a shelter
located in a Slidell, LA high school gymnasium, just north of the lake.
  They were short handed, had less than two days reserves of water and
food, no air conditioning, no showers, ONE National Guardsman for
security, NO Amateur Radio communications volunteers and HUNDREDS of
homeless people that were trying to contact family or friends while
barely managing to survive.

Take a walk in his shoes before you toss too many rocks... but if you're
going to toss them, toss them at me, not him... he was doing the best he
could with what he had.

73, Tony W4ZT