I checked the manual for my HP 334A Distortion
analyzer. The notch filter in that unit seems to be
capable of 80dB, and the bandwidth is quite narrow,
under 0.01%. This unit just removes the fundamental
and measures whatever is left.

I found several good articles and explanations of
SINAD measurements and equipment on the web. The
simplest description shows an RMS meter at the input,
a 1kHz notch filter, and another RMS meter at the
filter's output. You adjust the input RF signal until
the two meters show 12dB difference, and you've got
the 12dB SINAD sensitivity. Some use an AGC amplifier
in the input and do away with the first meter.

I would think that the distortion analyzer does
essentially the same thing. In the "SET" mode, you
measure the 1kHz tone amplitude and adjust the input
level for a specific value. In the "DISTORTION" mode,
that tone is notched out and the residual signal is
measured.

This could probably be done with an audio spectrum
analyzer if you could measure and sum (RMS) all the
signals except the fundamental 1kHz tone. If the SA
has that function, you should be good to go.

I don't know if this would give the same reading, but
one time I tried feeding in a 1kHz tone at 3kHz
deviation with a full-quieting signal, and noted the
amplitude of that signal on an RMS voltmeter. I then
removed the modulating tone and reduced the RF level
until the meter read 12dB below the level with the
tone. I didn't notch the 1kHz tone, I just turned it
off. This would leave just the noise, so I suppose any
distortion produced by the IF and detector stages was
eliminated from the measurement. It would be an
interesting experiment to compare this measurement to
what a real SINAD meter shows.

Bob M.
======

http://mail.yahoo.com