At 04:34 PM 04/11/06, you wrote:
Im converting a Micor station to 2-meters and all is well with everything RF wise. TX and RX great and to spec, so on to the controller interfacing.
Im following Scotts (N3XCC's) notes and all is well RX wise. Just a questain or 2 before I hook up the controller.
First all cards are pulled except the station control card. TLN4635. Jumpers JU9 and JU10 are cut. Is that OK?
Also the only backplane jumper installed is JU5. Is that OK?
Scotts notes reference a "keyed channel element" My repeater is a single freq. How do I know if I have keyed channel elements and what are they?
Thanks...Andy KC8EVM

If you have the micor putting out proper power then you don't have the problem.

The Micor, in stock multichannel base station configuration, grounds the low side
of the appropriate channel element to select it.  Many mods tell you to ground the
frequency one element, which has the transmit channel element running full time,
which in a simplex base station blocks the receiver (RF-wise), or in a repeater
results in a low-level signal full time.  Some people don't like that, especially those
with high-altitude sites where the low level signal can travel a decent distance.
It's really annoying when you are at the repeater site doing servicing and your
HT never shuts up.

So a common solution was to key the element on and off with a switching
transistor added to the backplane (see the Joel Huntley WA1ZYX mod) or to
use the antenna relay transistor on the station card (Scott's note).

Some folks say that letting the element run full time results in a more
stable signal.  I say that if you have a good quality crystal in a good
channel element powered by a clean 9.6v regulator that you already
have a stable signal.
If not, then something isn't doing it's job!

Mike WA6ILQ

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS