All a question of how much cooling is provided. From
memory I believe the 840 also has temp shutdown
protection.  Even with the added fans, 100% duty cycle
is probably not possible. But if the radios do protect
themselves, you probably wouldn't notice the (hopefully
short) times where the Tx-Radio PA was operating at
reduced power while it cooled back down.

The Astron is another kettle of fish, depending on
the model. The duty cycle of the smaller Astrons is
not so great even with a Fan.

I wouldn't say your repeater works as good or worked
as good as $2k commercial repeater. The tk-840 receiver
front end can't really compete with a true repeater
spec receiver at a busy site/location.

Not a free lunch... you just ordered off the menu
and paid less a'la carte.

cheers,
skipp