--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> david vanhorn wrote:
> >
> >     Look at <
> >     http://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-info/effectivesens.html
> >     <http://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-
info/effectivesens.html>> - a
> >     writeup
> >     from Chris Boone WB5ITT, who happens to be a pretty sharp
guy.

> > Very good article.  I got a 50dB sample pad from Telewave, and
have it
> > installed in the system.
> > Makes it very handy to look at the transmitted spectrum, or do
receiver
> > adjustments.
>
> Actually I think it'd be a better article if it pointed out there
are
> better ways than an Iso-T to inject that signal that are give
better
> (more reproducible/consistent) results.

Yes, that's why I went with the sampler.
It's nearly flat across the band, and as you point out, it's not
subject to drift.

> Just opinion, but I like having the variable part of the signal
> generation/SINAD measurement done at a device that has a
calibrated
> output level, and no variability of an Iso-T.

Well, an Iso-T and a foxhunting attenuator would be way better than
nothing.

I'd like to have a more portable sig gen, but I'm VERY glad to have
my HP. I was checking my "B" radios yesterday, running the output of
my 7L5's tracking generator into it's mod in port, set to 3kHz dev,
nice to know that it just IS 3k Dev as the tone sweeps the band.

> What's the quote?  "The unexamined life is not worth living."
> Perhaps better stated: "The unexamined repeater is not worth
using."

If you can't measure it, then you can't improve it!