> "Eric Lemmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Skipp,
> That's what I figured.  I use only SunWize/Steca "SIGMA" solar
> controllers, and they will disconnect the load from the battery
> bank if there is an extended period of low output from the solar
> panels coupled with heavy usage
> of the radio.

Very nice product..!  It was really hard to find a Dealer for it
on the web.  Can you share a source/dealer where you bought/buy
yours?

> The controller has three pairs of terminals:  solar panel,
> battery, and load.  For obvious reasons, it is important
> that no load be connected directly to the battery. To do
> so will not only negate the low voltage disconnect feature,
> but it also will prevent the controller from accurately
> determining the state of charge.  This particular controller
> keeps track of energy going to and taken from the battery,
> and displays the SOC on an LCD.  It works like a champ!

Very, very nice... the current generation of solar electronics
is finally coming into "their prime" / great features per
dollar spent.

> The MTR2000 repeaters I use have a built-in low voltage
> disconnect, so I have full protection. I can program a
> voltage at which the repeater will transmit an alert tone
> over the air, to advise users that it is running at
> reduced power due to low voltage.  If the repeater were
> equipped with an AC supply, an alert tone also informs
> users of a power failure.
> 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

Nice, I believe many of the current generation repeaters
on the market have similar features.  For the older stuff,
we have to do it by retrofit.

One could copy the power fail circuit from the Motorola
Spectra Tac remote receiver. The power fail alert-tone
feature is great but you always seem to end up having to
explain it the user(s) each time it triggers.

cheers,
skipp