va7aa wrote:
> Tnx Nate...
>
> If you can I'd shake the antenna while it is hot, while a weak signal is on
> the repeater input... that'll tell you real quick...as you probably know,
> dioding from anything loose really raises hell with repeaters... also
> dis-similar metals moving

We haven't heard anything that sounds like a "shake it" type failure.
No crackles, etc.

The antenna is side-mounted so it doesn't move a whole lot, but the site
is very windy at times.  Well over 50 MPH with gusts above that.

The 6m antenna has a "whip" section on top, for example, and it was
pushed over into the tower hard enough to get stuck there this winter.
(Yeah, we're going to swap it for something a little more stout,
probably.  It's on the list of things to-do...)

> Just to clarify... yes it is the VHF 210-C4 variety, the new ones made
> within the past 5 yrs or so that I am talking about...

Understand.  I just figured I'd say "hello" and let you know we have
something possibly wrong on one of our systems using a newer one, but
nothing that points to the antenna yet.  Just to keep in touch.

I highly doubt our problem is the antenna, but guessing isn't knowing.

> we have also had some
> trouble with the SRL2330 VHF duplexers, while the specs say 600khz you
> really have to struggle to get em and keep em there with any decent (-80db
> or better/side for the 6 can variety) rejection at a decent insertion
> loss -1.5db.  Notch (reject) caps go seen to go bad prematurely, especially
> if you screw on em a few too many times.  The "inside scoop" suggests that
> those duplexers should not be used at that close a spacing... so we went out
> and spent some serious coin and are now replacing everything with new
> Daniels and Comprod equipment....

No newer (or older) Sinclair duplexers in service here that I remember.
  Can't comment on any of that.

> getting tired of running up and down the
> hill every other day fixing junk that's long outlived it's natural
> lifespan.... that old service monitor/spectrum analyser I have is getting
> heavier by the day.

Heh... yep.  One of our members did that "big job" a few years ago,
swapping everything out for Mastr II stations... etc.  Took a lot more
time and effort than anyone but us "techies" gave him credit for, and
we're all enjoying the benefits now -- everything's solid as a rock --
other than the ()*&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&[EMAIL PROTECTED] Kendecomm 220 MHz
repeater which was recently
found to be 3.3 KHz off-frequency.  (Which seems about right for the
quality level of the components I found inside and their age.)

Nate WY0X