Actually the answer is yes.  I have amps that work just as you say.  I use them for UHF satcom.  I can run about 200' of 214 before, and 200' after, and get just over 100 watts out.  problem is, my shit is real expensive, a few thousand dollars.  back at my base, i have a Bias-T that injects a 24VDC down the line and the amp takes it off of it.  Not very cost efective though.  Another option that you may have is locate the radio in a box closer up to the top with some kind of remote down.  I am not familiar with that radio so I dont know what remoting capabilites it has for that kind of stuff.  If you use it just for one freq, you could be good runing CAT-3 down for the audio.  Analog signals can travel pretty far.

Chris

----- Original Message ----
From: skipp025 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:33:36 PM
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: DC INJECTOR AND PREAMP

The common answer is probably no... you can't run a remote
preamp as described in your post.  There is always a "but"

There is a yes answer, but it takes quite a bit of hardware,
which doesn't seem practical except in very special cases. It's
a hardware layout of an rf tower mounted rx preamp diplex
filtered with tx path signal hardware, but you would really
have to know the costs and performance trades for buying and
using one.

It would be more practical to remote locate the repeater in
a small weather proof box closer to the antenna.

The best bang for your buck would be to invest in some really
good hard line for the long feedline run.  1-5/8 hard line is
cheap on the surplus market right now...

cheers,
skipp