Steve,

I agree with most of the replies.  One can tell a serious repeater
builder by he/she not taking the typical Ham route and look for
rugged antennas and feedline.

I have a DB224 folded dipole here at 1175 ft above ground for about
10 years.  Local club just replaced one over 25 years old.  Was
moving and thought they would just replace it.  It did look little
worn.

The only problem we have here in Florida is with the salt air.  When
close to the Gulf the salt has eaten the exposed elements after
about 8 years, but most do not have a problem.  We often coat the
joints for added protection.  Ice can be a problem up north.

If I have to replace the DB224 I will probably go with Station
Master with top and bottom support.  Stations Masters have some
problems swaying in the air.

I've use to use ham ventage antennas and like most into repeaters
learned the hard way.  Use to replace a G7-144 about every 18 months
due to ICE falling off the tower (was in Ohio).  In 1982 put up
Station Master...it is still there.

To replace my DB224 at 1175 ft the 4 man crew at $120/hr each,
$480/hr and atleast 1 full day, more like 12 hours well do the
math.  Does depend on your situation.  Today if you aint bonded for
tower climming you aint going on the tower...well maybe once and
then your repeater aint going on the tower.

73, ron, n9ee/r

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hutzley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I know I'm asking a loaded question.
>
> Our club just lost our UHF antenna. The last straw was a wind
storm. The make of the antenna that was up there is unknown.

> A stationmaster would be nice, but we cant afford it.
> A Decibel Products  DB series - I hear are maintenance nightmares.
>
> We are looking at A hustler HS9-43050 -
>
> Any comments on the hustler antennas. Or other suggestions?
>
> 73
> Steve
> N1TEC

> Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful
email and get things done faster.