> 2. You should ONLY be using deep cycle cells - used in marine
> industry and Uniteruptable power systems -- DO NOT stop at your
> local automotive dealer -- car/truck batteries are totally
> inapprorpiate for this application.

Not always... some people are actually on a low budget and while
an 8D Truck Battery might not be the best engineering choice... it
can be a very cost effective path when priced typical 1/4 to 1/3 the
retail price of a same size high-end battery deep cycle battery.

Using large auto/truck batteries might be a more practical choice.

The debate over using various battery types at solar sites would
be a long thread.

> The size and capacity fo the cells must be matched to your load
> AND to the expected solar panel charging ability. (This is the
> "teeter totter" part of the design).

Matched pretty much only in the best made plans and budgets. But
sometimes you have to take/use what resources are the most practical
or available.

I'm using deep cycle, flooded lead acid and surplus station
batteries at many remote sites. From experience I can tell you
a lot of the many pros and cons for using each type. ... and of
course each site capacity and each setup is different. Every
soup requires a bit of "season to taste".

In a practical application... 4D and 8D Auto Batteries can and do
work pretty well in at remote sites and they're a lot cheaper
than the deep cycle types if you're on a budget. They are not the
best choice... but the best choice does cost a lot more if you
can go that route.

cheers,
skipp