> Kris Kirby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Did Motorola ever make a Micor or earlier vintage base station
> with a tube PA on 800MHz?

Yes, the pa assembly was actually made for Motorhead by Eimac and
it uses a triode like the 3cx400u-a7 type tube (trying to remember
the actual tube number).

We had a lot of problems with the early operation units because
people didn't know how to tune them, the blowers failed and the
heater voltage was always set wrong (way to high).

Sometimes it took Motorola a serious length of time for the
engineering folks to source a known circuit/equipment problem.
But when high dollar tubes were going bad in units less than a
year old you can bet they woke up and sourced the problems pretty
fast. I have a factory internal memo about the results of the
premi tube failure problem and the fix, which was included in
manual updates and/or updated manuals.

The PA Assemblies are often seen on ebay without the monster
matching power supply.  There are also 900MHz units but much
harder to find and yes... with lot of work the 800 unit will
go up to 900 MHz.

cheers,
skipp