Hello Dave

Here is a quick way to test for duplexer internal intermod-----result of signal
rectification resulting from lighting burn damage, tuning under power damage,
corrosion, bad connectors etc.

Put a transmitter on the REC. and TRANS ports tuned to REC and TRANS  pass
frequencies of each------for ham work, a couple of similar power mobiles work
well.

Put sample "T" and an adequately big, known to be good, dummy load on the
duplexer antenna port--- 40 db. or so of suitable power attenuator is another
OK way to go here.

Now, with a spectrum analyzer connected to the sample "T" or attenuator string,
run both transmitters at the same time (max. power) and look at what comes out
of the duplexer. antenna port.

If all is well, you will see only the two transmitter frequencies------similar
display heights if the transmitters are of similar power and the pass losses of
the duplexer are similar.

If all isn't well, you will see the two transmitters and mix products
too----and if you do, this is bad news------you may have to look down a way
----you should not be able to see any mix products.

I have used this method to identify a couple of "bad" duplexers that desensed
badly in service that looked absolutely perfect in tune up and checkout using
the usual tracking oscillator / service monitor and or high-grade network
analyzer methods.

Scott, N6NXI