-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com On Behalf Of Eric Lemmon

Mark,

Sudden and regular changes in voltage levels on long lines are normally
caused by the switching in and out of capacitor banks that are used to
improve voltage regulation on long distribution lines.  This is most
commonly used on lines carrying 4,160 to 22,000 volts.  In areas where light
industrial loads are common, the power factor is lagging during most of the
day, due to the number of motors and other inductive loads connected.  To
counteract this lagging power factor, capacitor banks are switched in and
out by either a timer or a voltage sensor.  In my area, the nominal voltage
jumped from about 119 volts to 123 volts in the morning, and dropped back in
the late afternoon.

This practice is very important in rural areas, where a 12kV line might run
20 miles to a farm.  If regulators or capacitor banks were not used to
stabilize the voltage, there would be large excursions each time the farmer
started his irrigation pumps.  Motors, being inductive, cause a lagging
power factor that results in an increased voltage drop on the distribution
circuit.  The capacitors supply capacitive reactance that cancels the
inductive reactance and, when properly applied, will improve the power
factor to near unity and minimize the voltage drop.

Most well-designed power supplies, both linear and switch-mode, will
maintain a relatively stable output voltage despite wide variations in AC
input voltage.  Some designs are nearly immune to step-voltage changes
resulting from capacitor switching.  I don't think it's necessary to employ
a Variac or similar variable transformer to adjust the voltage.  If the
measured AC voltage at the repeater site is not within the IEEE standard of
120 +/- 5%, then the utility should be contacted to change the transformer
taps to bring the voltage within tolerance.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY