Start at www.repeater-builder.com; you may recognize
that as the name of this Yahoo! Group; it's no
co-incidence.

Go to the Motorola section, then the Spectra Mobile
area. Check out all the nifty articles near the
bottom. One of them addresses the capacitors issue.

You may even find useful information in other areas of
the site. But I don't want to twist your arm...

Bob M.
======
--- Vincent Caruso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a link to this article?
> I had a copy of instructions on re capping once but
> misplaced it when I
> upgraded my hard drive.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve Murphy wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > A couple of weeks ago, I sent Bob, WA1MIK a
> message thanking him for
> > his  fine article on recapping the Spectra radios.
>

> > At work, we have a fleet with several hundred 800
> MHz Spectra C5 and
> > C7 mobiles.  Over the past year or so, they've
> been dropping like
> > flies.  I've now gone through nearly 50 Spectras
> with various
> > problems, and in all but four radios, replacing
> the electrolytic caps
> > and cleaning the circuit boards restored proper
> operation!  There were
> > many different symptoms, but the one thing that I
> saw repeatedly were
> > radios that would work OK when first powered up,
> and then develop
> > various problems after running a while.
> >
> > Bob's article gives Digi-Key and Mouser part
> numbers for the
> > replacement capacitors. I've used the Mouser
> numbers, and they're
> > right on target.
> >
> > On the last batch of radios that I repaired, I did
> deviate from Bob's
> > parts list in that I used a 10uF/25V tantalum to
> replace the 10uF/16V
> > factory electrolytics.  The reason for the
> substitution is that the
> > tantalum cap is physically smaller, making it
> easier to install,
> > especially in the tight spaces near the audio IC.
> The Mouser part
> > number for this cap is: 74-595D106X9025B2T.
> >
> > Another thing worth noting is that in the three
> 900 MHz Spectras that
> > I've recapped, the 47uF cap on the RF board was
> not present.  It was
> > present on all of the 800 MHz and 450 MHz Spectras
> that I've worked on.
> >
> > Thanks again to Bob for his article, and I hope
> that this posting
> > might help someone else.
> >
> > 73/GL
> >
> > Steve N8NM

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html