  From: tony dinkel
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 12:45 PM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Antenna on the side of a water tower

  I don't think you are going to be able to model it to your satisfaction with
  any software you or I could afford. Perhaps you need to adopt an empirical
  approach, put up an antenna and see what you get. Drive test it, take field
  strength readings, plot and graph the real world data as much as you want.
  Then you can add in small tweaks in spacing, heading and gain.

  I would suggest starting with a low gain antenna, like maybe a 4 bay folded
  dipole array at the easiest to mount spacing from the tank. After you tweak
  that in for a while and have a feel for how it works, perhaps you could add
  a second antenna exactly 180 degrees on the other side of the tank. Try 0,
  90, 180, 270 or totally random phase angles between the two antennas.

  Don't get bogged down in the math. Have fun with it. Last time I checked,
  ham radio is still a hobby.

  td, empiricist
  wb6mie

  >It's hard to put into text.
  >
  >What I'd like to do, is get back to the more omni pattern if at all
  >possible. The way everything is situated, if I put the antenna on the
  >side of the tower facing through most of our coverage area, I think it
  >will end up with too much gain in that direction, twoard another
  >repeater to the northeast.
  >
  >Mostly, I'm just looking for a way to model what happens, ideally in
  >something that radio mobile can digest, and I'll work it out from there.

  something more.

http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG