gregmrfs wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I want to build my first repeater using 2 hand held radios mounted in
> a pelican case with a gel cell for power.
>
> I have no idea where to start or what is required to build the
> repeater. Can anyone give me some ideas on connecting the radios? So
> far I think I have to get 2 radios, case, battery. Do I need 2
> antennas or should I use a duplexer. I want this setup to be as basic
> as possible.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Greg

First, you don't mention what band, but I would NOT try to do this on
the 2M ham band, as the in/out spacing is too close. UHF is an excellent
choice, as there is more likely to be an open pair, the in/out spacing
is much better, small duplexers are practical, and the whole deal will
be cheaper.
I would use commercial grade radios, not made-for-ham. A pair of
Motorola HT-90/440's work very well, but are crystal controlled. If you
need programmable, P100/HT50, P200/HT600's are good choices, as they
still have decent front ends. The issue with a frequency agile portable
repeater will be the duplexer. Re-tuning in the field is not an option.
You'll have to use separate antennas, which is another selling point for
UHF, as the separation will be much less, 10-15' of vertical will
probably work, especially at low power levels.
--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL