At 09:25 PM 02/03/07, you wrote:
>At 2/3/2007 20:09, you wrote:
> >If there is such a thing - ICM in OKC would be tops, then Bomar, and down
> >the line.  sb
>
>Given the horror story given here recently by Dave KA9FUR, I can't even
>consider ICM at this point.  It's as if most of the crystal manufacturers
>just don't care if they put out a decent product anymore.
>
>Maybe the answer is DDS modules.  Sure, they need stabilization or
>compensation as well, but at least they become an integral, non-replaceable
>part of the radio.  Not sure how you'd direct FM them, though - they may
>not like having their reference modulated.
>
>Bob NO6B

I, for one, would LOVE to see a DDS (or some other technology)
based channel element / ICOM replacement.  Something that I could
program, plug into the radio, and ignore.  I don't care if its programmed
via solder blobs, dip switches, rs232, or with a RS-to-TTL converter
like a Moto RIB.

The unit would have to run off of +9.6 or 10vDC, and output
a tripled signal (most Moto elements contain a tripler), and
to accept a modulation signal...

Even if each one (transmit or receive) was the size of a double
deck of cards that wouldn't be a problem in most base stations.

Heck, it reminds me of running a GLB synthesizer up front with
a pair of RG174 cables back to the trunk... I was using a set of
channel elements as buffer/triplers.

Back then my elements that had RCA  connectors mounted in
the top covers got some strange looks.

Mike WA6ILQ