I would strongly suspect that new preamp to be the culprit.

73

Gary  K4FMX

  _____

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nate Duehr
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 2:35 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Intermod

On 2/3/07, Jeff DePolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:jeff%40depolo.net> net> wrote:

> I think I see how Steve's logic is leaning, and I agree - I don't see any
> logical mix here until you include a user's transmission on one of the
> repeater's inputs. Fred - do you hear ALL 147.33 transmitter activity
> coming in on the 147.765 input, or just when there is actually a user
keyed
> up on 147.93? If the latter, that's a big clue...
>
> --- Jeff

Yep, that's going to be the key... been there done that... Ye olde 600
KHz split on VHF problem.

It creates perfect mixes with users and the repeaters themselves that
fall right smack on the input of the next repeater along the band. A
close-in high-powered user to a VHF repeater can mix with it with bad
results for the next in line machine. Requiring CTCSS on a different
tone than the original machine and users will cover up the problem,
but not fix it, of course... not a permanent fix, but sometimes
necessary.

If Jeff's observation is correct, and you only hear input activity...
try to find a ham who's rig causes the issue consistently (and you'll
probably find that HT users don't, also -- they're usually just too
weak to create a strong-enough mix).

Then you can have that person lower their power and see if the problem
signal on the repeater's input seems to drop out quickly or get much
weaker, since you're looking for a mix that would drop off rapidly as
one of the transmitter's power levels was lowered.

If that's not it... have a 600 KHz AM station in your town? There's
always the possibility of other mixes as well... Jeff's test is the
kicker to start with -- do you hear the full TX tail of the other
repeater or just user input? Does it do it on ALL transmissions or
just certain users? Anyone involved in the situation live real close
to either repeater, who you know has high gain antennas and runs lots
of power?

Nate WY0X