Did you add a quarter wave radial to the top section?

  _____

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of matushka_99
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:15 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] UHF to VHF fiberglass antenna conversion

I have a commerical grade 440 Mhz antenna that I want to convert to 2
meters.
I have unscrewed the N connector off the antenna along with the 9 or
so UHF elements that comprised the radiating portion. I added three
1/2 wave 32.375 inch elements(center to shield X 3) and then added
some some extra length to the coppper stub/w center conductor at the
base of the antenna to make a 1/4 Wave element(about 16.275 inches
total). Then I soldered the 3 1/2 wave elements(already soldered) to
the 1/4 wave at the base of the antenna. I checked for shorts and and
then reiserted the new "2 Meter" radiator back into the fiberglass
cavity of the antenna. I made 3 new radials(about 20 inches/radial)
and installed them onto the base of the antenna and checked the SWR!
The antenna is showing in the RED no matter where I move the frequency
to on my MFJ antenna calibration checker. Does anyone have any ideas
on what is causing the antenna to be so far off? The wire I used is RG
8X mini foam with a Velocity Facor of 0.80.