Dan,

   Below is a copy of an email I posted to the group on 12-5-06.  DO NOT
BUY HUSTLER!  They refuse to pay me back for the shipping of their POS
antenna.  If you have the time and money, save yourself much aggravation
and money, buy a commercial antenna...  Check eham on comments on the
G6-270R.  Wish I had before I ordered it!!!!

good luck, Shanon KA8SPW

Fellow repeater die hards,

  Long story short.  I did not have the time, less than 5 working days,
to order a commercial antenna and have it here.  Due to only having one
position on the tower, I needed a antenna that I could use for the 2M
repeater and 440 control.  It had to be one piece and rugged, so I
ordered a Hustler G6-270R from R & L in Ohio.  R & L are fantastic
people!!!  The antenna arrived in one day, just 3 working  days before
the required commercial install.  If I did not have an antenna at the
site for the install by 9am on Tuesday morning I would miss the window
that I had been working on for 12 years to get onto this tower.  Small
town, political nightmare, thats a long nightmare story.

 The antenna was a POS to say the least.  Bent center pin on the female
N connector, silicone seal not completed where the fiberglass meets the
aluminum, silicone seal not completed where the coax goes into the hole
in the base plate into the back of the N connector leaving bare wires,
the large aluminum base plate was cocked which left all the radial
elements at a 5 degree tilt to one side.   The base was obviously
machined wrong.

 Not having the time to do much else, I pondered repairing the N
connector and resealing the antenna to use it anyway.  I called R&L and
they offered to send me another one.  Since I didn't have much time and
I did have the connector in stock, I called Hustler to find out what the
sealant number was so I could use the same.  I tried to bend the pins
back on the "no name connector" and guess what, two bent back the third
went "plink"......

 Hustler offered to pull one from stock, inspect it, and send it to me.
The best they could do was get it to me THURSDAY, two days late unless I
wanted to pay for overnight air.....  So they arranged for R&L to send
me another one.  It arrived at 4:45 pm the night before it had to be at
the site.  I only had time to put the radials on and check the match
before delivering it to the site after dinner.  When I checked the
match, it was now dark, with freezing rain which turned to sleet while I
was on the ladder with my bird.  Match OK.

 When I took the replacement out of the tube I noticed it had the same
build date as the first, sinking feeling at this point.   First check,
the N connector, intact.  Next, all the sealant, good.  I assembled the
elements onto the base and got ready to check the match outside on the
pole in the middle of the back yard.  This is when I tried to screw a
Amphenol N to BNC adapter onto the antenna.  I say tried because I could
not get it to turn more than two turns.  I checked the threads,  BLOCKED
by what appeared to be solder!!!  I took the antenna into the shop and
looked at in under a magnifier light.  Turned out to be what appeared to
be super glue in the threads!!!  I used my Xacto knife to carefully
remove it.

 I sent the bad antenna back to Hustler along with all the documentation
and the glue remnants.  Oh by the way, understandably I had to give them
my charge card info and they charged me for the extra antenna (plus $25
shipping) and would credit me when I returned the bad one.  They charged
LIST price too!!!  I had to pay over $50 to ship it from the Detroit
area back to Hustler.  They have refused to cover my shipping their BAD
antenna back to them!!!  I have bought many Hustler antennas for my
needs and have specified over 50 Hustler antennas for other projects.
After this I will never buy another Huster.  I don't care how much I
have to spend on a better made antenna!!  I just hope the replacement
antenna remains good long enough for me to buy a good commercial antenna
and then arrange to pay for a crew to install it.

 They did credit my card for the replacement antenna.  Still no credit
for the shipping back of the bad antenna.  Normally I would not complain
about the cost of the shipping, but it was only necessary because of
their TOTAL lack of quality.  Oh by the way, I forgot to mention, the
inspection sheet packed with the bad antenna was checked off as a
totally different antenna.  Some quality control.

Shanon KA8SPW

KA8SPW  at  SBCGLOBAL  dot  NET