Gary
me and some folks at my job that are radio-amateurs are using an fiberglass
antennas for years,,,,,at least 6 years,,
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x500hna.html

we are operating 2 systems ,one uhf repeater
and one vhf repeater  that can be linked with 8 repeaters on differents
frequencies,,naturally ,(you need a QUALITY DUPLEXER ).
all controled by home made software and hardware controler too.
we shoose vertical 2 bands antenna because of space and cost,,we are 4 in my
group.
we can tell you that you need good grounds system because fibeglass have
tendency to accumulate static  and become a big condenser when the weather get
wet ,,,at leats around here along the St-Laurence River.

We installed at at 6 feet from a tower and a good Heliax cable LDF5.
it suffer high winds and ice and never fail us .

You will always have the performance you pay that is what we learn ,,even if
you have 250 watts tx with no good antenna you wont go far .

73/s Gary

Gervais,ve2ckn