At 2/13/2007 06:28, you wrote:

> > Your math looks sound, Jeff, except I thought 1/2" Heliax
> > wasn't quite so
> > lossy @ 450 MHz (~1.5 dB/100 ft IIRC?).
>
> > >Scenario 1:  Preamp = 0.5 dB NF, antenna feeding 200' of
> > 1/2" Heliax (3
> > >dB loss @ 450 MHz @ 1:1 VSWR)
>
>1.5 dB per 100 ft versus 3 dB for 200'.  I think we're in agreement on this
>one... :-)
>
> > Realistically
> > though, not many
> > people connect the input of their preamp directly to 200 ft. of
> > line.
>
>When I wrote up the scenario I was thinking of a typical weak-signal home
>station.  Joe Ham's weak signal station at home could easily have 3 dB of
>feedline loss.  Joe Ham isn't running inch and five-eigths up their tower.
>30 feet or so in the house/shack, maybe 100' buried between the house and
>the tower, 70 feet up the tower, probably not an unreasonable scenario.

If "Joe Ham" were serious about weak signal reception, he'd mount the
preamp at the antenna.  Otherwise, 3 dB is already a lot of loss to
tolerate for weak signal work; what's another dB?

>Without knowing, or having a means of measuring, return loss of the preamp,
>one might assume that the best preamp for their weak signal station is the
>one with the lowest advertised noise figure, and I think the math shows that
>is not always the case.  Which is why I originally asked the question - is
>it really fair to judge the merits of two preamps based soley on noise
>figure without knowing how good of a match they present?  My answer would be
>no.

OK, but I submit that the input match is only of secondary concern.  Drop
the feedline loss to 1 dB & the extra loss becomes only 0.5 dB.

> > Usually there's a filter ahead of it that has loss &
> > can be tuned to
> > somewhat tune out the mismatch.
>
>For a repeater installation, maybe, but not for weak signal work where you
>typically don't have anything between the antenna and preamp except for
>feedline to avoid any additional losses that would directly impact the NF.

Again, for any halfway-serious weak signal work, either your feedline loss
will be < 1 dB or your preamp will be at the antenna.

>I'd like to get my hands on a modern NF meter and, combined with VNA
>measurements, compare a few off-the-shelf preamps.  One of these days...
>
>                                         --- Jeff

Only 94 days 'till Dayton...

Bob NO6B