A shift of 2% may produce a noticeable drop in gain in an antenna system but
not for the reasons you seem to be expressing.

The water seems to be getting a little muddy here and it is becoming a
little difficult determining as to what you are comparing your reasoning to.
Some times you seem to be discussing multiple element antennas and other
times a single element antenna. Maybe you could give us an example of a
particular type of antenna and tell us why the gain drops on that antenna
when frequency is changed.

73
Gary K4FMX