From: Jack Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:46:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] OT- Activity Level On Ham Repeaters Way Down In
My Area

1) The number of repeaters in our area has
increased slightly but the activity on any of them

is way-way down,  One local put a recorder on
the output of one popular repeater channel

and found over a 24 hour period, it was in use less
than 1% of the time.  Even the newer

IRLP and EchoLink repeaters attract very little
interest.

2) Suspect the primary cause of the decline is due
to alternative means of communication

being available.  Without a doubt, cell phones
provide private communications world-wide

just about everywhere and whenever and, at
relatively inexpensive prices.  Multi-channels

of TV with multi-content delivered via cable and
satellite attract attention during the evening hours.

Ditto with satellite delivered multi-content radio
channels available when mobile.  Then too of course,

are the ham forums on the internet such as this
one, that competes for our time on the radio.

3) IMO this trend will not reverse but gradually
continue.  A possible parallel would be packet radio.

In the beginning just as it was with repeaters,
there was a rush to install packet network nodes

over most of the US.  Clubs and individuals
were proud to be involved with the 'digital revolution.

User interest waned and as time passed the network
deteriated.  Today there are very few

"live" users.

73 de Jack -  N7OO