The extra length of the VHF cavity used for the 220MHz duplexer should
do nothing to the tuning, insertion loss or notch depths.  I suspect
there may be another issue with your observed results.

Did you measure the poor performance without tightening or inserting
ALL the screws on the top plate?

I know for a fact that the length will not effect the performance of
the cavity once the length of the resonator bottom is beyond the
capacitive tuning effects. There is no effect of the bottom cover/cap
except for dust protection.

Harold (ex Sinclair systems engineer)

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "holycow619593"