VCO War Stories...?   anyway...

Until I replaced my vehicle Kenwood TK-880 & TK-780 radio stack
last year with the current TK-8180 and TK-7180 radio... I ran
my un-modified TK-880 into the 440-450 Amatuer Band.

But not all the way... the receiver sens fell off some and the vco
didn't like going down to 440.100 without re-adjustment. In cold
weather it would go out of vco lock and beep at me until the car
heater had some time to warm it up a bit.

On a positive note the same radio also worked up on my 493 T-Band
frequencies without mods.  I was happy to leave things alone since
my Amateur work is mostly with a portable radio.

The potential problem with the SM-50 is the receiver front in is
not so great for repeater operation. Links maybe but maybe not so
great in modest to high power repeater operation on a busy mountain
top.  But I have yet to try one at a busy mountain top...

I'm also using Midlands and they make great link radios...  and
they are more than dirt cheap on ebay.

cheers,
skipp

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am aware and have some that tune to the 420-470 band. And those
radios are the TK-8180K2 radios. The other radios i am talking about
are the TK-880K radios. You will need to modify the VCO if you want
them to perform below 440mhz. I would prefer to use the Kenwood but
the time it takes to modify and ge them to work there are a pain & i
know them very well. The other hand you can get a small Motorola SM-50
and use the hacked software and they play very nice down to 430mhz and
have for sometime. Nock on wood i have yet to replaced one in my link
system and the audio and everything you want is on the 16pin
connector. PTT,COR,TOR,GROUND,Muted & Unmuted Audio, Mic,13.8v etc.