Nate,

Several years ago, I chastised ARRL Labs for failing to report the basic
2-way radio performance parameters of 12dB SINAD sensitivity, voice
deviation limit, CTCSS deviation limit, and center frequency accuracy.  I
did not get a satisfactory answer, but I suspect that there is a reluctance
to disparage the performance of name-brand Ham radios.

Nearly every Amateur 2m radio I have tested has CTCSS deviation far in
excess of the EIA/TIA recommended level of 750 Hz, and that level is not
adjustable in most radios.  Alinco radios are the worst in this regard,
because the radios are made with fixed resistors that set the CTCSS
deviation level, which usually is two to three times the proper level.  An
Alinco tech stated that the exact level wasn't important, only that it was
"high enough!"  I own several Alinco radios that were delivered with CTCSS
deviation above 1500 Hz, and I modified them to bring their emissions within
industry standards.  Such blatant disregard for industry-recommended
deviation levels is certainly not limited to any one manufacturer!

My ICOM IC-207H mobile radio needed adjustment to bring the center frequency
and deviation within ICOM specs, but the model received rave reviews from
users who didn't realize how imprecisely the radios were tuned at the
factory.

I realize that not every Ham has the test equipment to verify on-spec
performance of a new radio, but I would like to see much greater care taken
in fixing the critical performance parameters, before the radio goes out the
door.  Moreover, I would like "Amateur-Grade" to mean simply that the radio
will operate on Amateur bands, not that it has been "dumbed-down" to
eliminate important performance adjustments in the name of reduced selling
price!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY