Hi NJ,

>"... The solution seems to be to run flat audio within
>the controller, ..."
>
>I couldn't agree more. Coming from the commercial two-way world,
>this is how we do everything, but I do understand why some repeater
>builders want to go the other way. I just wouldn't call it "flat
>audio" - it's just normal audio - hook a transmission test set up to
>it and it sounds normal.

Okay, that's a vote for running, um, normal audio throughout the
controller.

To do that, we would accept normal audio from receivers as-is, or
de-emphasize discriminator audio. The controller's internal tone
generation and digital audio playback, the DTMF decoders, and the
autopatch all stay normal. We wouldn't need squelch circuits and we
wouldn't need pre-emphasis and clippers in the transmitter audio. It
would definitely be less expensive.

And normal. :-)

73,
Bob