Yes, you have to make all the audio preemphasized (from the autopatch IF
USED) to match the user's audio which is preemphasized. I would not
phrase it as "put de-emphasis on this & that & pre-emphasis & that & the
other" since that also describes processed audio systems.

In most current configurations, this involves simply de-emph on the DTMF
decoder (simple enough) which is the same thing you would do with the
receiver in a processed audio system, so it's actually much easier than
in an unprocessed audio system (half the work).

Modern ham controllers even have that built in as a jumper option, so
it's not as difficult as "put de-emphasis on this & that & pre-emphasis
& that & the other" - it's more like "install jumpers 1, 2, and 3 in the
A position during setup if you have autopatch or install jumper 1 in the
A position if you don't have autopatch."

Joe M.