Re: Motorola fixed ctcss level

Motorola likes the 600 to 700 Hz ctcss deviation level. One cute
trick to use for setting re-rocked MSR (and probabaly Micor) tx
channel elements is to target the above mentioned ctcss 650 Hz level
as your initial ctcss deviation channel element start or setpoint.

What I mean is the ratio of channel element ctcss to voice audio dev.
remains similar so if you preset the ctcss to the expected devitation
the voice deviation will be fairly close to a desired max value.

In most cases the overall channel element voice max deviation value
is pretty much near/in the right ball park. Place the re-rocked
channel element on frequency, set the ctcss to 650 Hz and the stock
MSR-Repeater max deviation is probably pretty darn close to what
it should be.

If you've ever looked at the typical MSR Channel Element hard limit...
you know it's not a pretty sight... nor is it anywhere close to being
symetric. So I don't use/rely on the channel element for my deviation
limit function.  But most people do things the standard Motorola
method and the above ctcss "trick" is handy to know.

  ****

My perference is to set tx ctcss down near the 500 Hz deviation
level. Note this is not the composite non-voice modulated value, which
is the ctcss (sub tone) plus any noise on the tx signal. Many
un-modulated carries have a bit of included unwanted noise or hum.

[sidebar blurb]
I sourced a lot/most of the above unwanted base hum/noise in one of
my MSR Trunking Repeater Conversions to the use of a lesser quality
cable/wire.

I was out of the famous black Motorola repeater/remote cable and used
some decent generic sheilded cable in place. Well... no cigar... I
could see the direct results as quite a bit of noise (200Hz dev) on
the un-modulated tx signal.

Hence the main reason I found the original Motorhead black wire mfgr,
became a dealer and ordered a 5K spool right away. Replacing the good
wire with the better wire removed the noise/hum. So I've been sold
on using the black wire ever since (and of course I now stock it).
[end of sidebar blurb]

Onward...

Most every decoder I've tested will track a decent signal
down to 100 or 200 Hz ctcss deviation.

Some of the older radios (like the Icom IC-02at & IC-04at portables)
don't have much of a ctcss filter... so hot sub tone deviation is
a pretty bad hum in the normal speaker audio.

I/we have not had any decoder drop/false problems using 500 Hz
deviation as our ctcss standard.

cheers,
skipp